Friday, March 06, 2009

MOSS 2007 Pages show up for system account but not regular users (i.e. Publishing Pages)!

So I ran into a problem (should have been rather obvious but just learning sharepoint designer on my own here). I made changes to several master pages and page layouts in Sharepoint designer and by hand coding html and they were showing up perfectly for me and the Sharepoint System Account in the web browser when accessing the site. So cool, I thought my job was done.

But NOPE - Because ... somehow for regular MOSS users and guests, they were not showing up. AARRGH MSFT again! Here we go...

I first thought it was a permissions thing. But then I looked closer in Sharepoint Designer, and saw a bunch of little green checkmarks next to each file I had changed plus a bunch I did not change. So I right clicked and said Check In. Well then it asks you are you checking in a minor version or publishing a major version. I say Publish Major Version, put a short comment. Then it says this type of change has to be approved, do you wish to approve/review now? I say yes, then it opens up web browser to the content approval page within Sharepoint for the particular site I am working on. In there, I select the pending files to approve and Click Approve.

VOILA - then all users can see my beautiful new changes and Marketing is happy! Plus is Friday 2:30PM and 60 degrees out after a hard long winter in CHI TOWN so I am happy to be able to leave the office a bit early today!

No comments: